The museum has a growing collection of maps and plans of Congleton and the surrounding areas.
Of particular interest is the 1818 copy of an earlier 1790 map of the Borough and Lordship of Congleton.
This enlarged image shows how little the street pattern has changed over the past 220 years with shops and houses clustered along the main thoroughfares of West Street, Mill Street, High Street and Lawton Street.
Using the accompanying schedule it is possible to identify the owners of each of the numbered plots, for example, those marked with the letter Y, Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5 all belonged to the ‘two Misses Alsager’
A later plan of around 1904 shows some of these the same plots; Y1, Y2, Y3, Y 4 and Y5 in the ownership of George Reade. Today the house, known as Milford House, is offices and the gardens have become a public car park.