This booklet covers the development of Congleton from the granting of its first Charter by Henry de Lacy in 1272 to the end of the 15th century. Reference is made to the establishing of local industries, such as cloth fulling, corn milling and stone quarrying, the growth of fairs and markets, and the need for the town to divert the course of the River Dane in 1451. Examples of law enforcement and punishments are given including the use of the stocks and the brank.
Author: Peter Boon
Booklet size: A5