This booklet is the second part of the “Social Divisions of Congleton” series. As industrialisation took over Congleton, the need for working class housing increased. This booklet looks at the way in which this type of housing grew in the town and how the Corporation supported the destitute by converting the old Lower Chapel to a workhouse in 1730. It opened a purpose-built institution in 1810, before becoming part of the Board of Guardians for Congleton Union, whose new workhouse was constructed at Arclid.
Author: Peter Boon
Booklet size: A5